Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Zesty Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast


Welcome back to everyone, or mainly me because I was gone!  :)  Monday's meal was another slow cooker night, but, not to worry, this is my last for a bit.  I won't overdo the slow meals, I promise!
So first thing's first: I took four red potatoes and cut them into quarters, as well as added some fresh baby carrots (about 2 cups), and added that into the slow cooker.
Then I cut 1 stalk of celery into about 1 inch pieces and 1 roma tomato, and put those into the slow cooker with the potatoes and carrots.
Now the recipe called for a beef chuck pot roast, however, I decided to try it a bit differently as I had some leftover chicken thighs!  So I seasoned those with 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, as the recipe asked for, and placed the chicken thighs on top of all of the vegetables.
In a separate bowl, I mixed a 10 3/4 can of tomato soup with 1/2 cup of water, 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh garlic, 1 teaspoon (each) of dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley and vinegar.  The recipe wasn't specific about what vinegar to use, so I used apple cider vinegar, as that's my favorite!
Once mixed, I poured that over the chicken and vegetables, set the slow cooker to the slow setting and went to work!
Once I got home, all I had to do was put it into bowls and serve it!
It was really good and I'm excited to try it with the pot roast meat, as well!  It was only 376 calories and was $3.94/serving!
Here's the recipe!

4 medium potatoes, cut into quarters
2 cups fresh baby carrots
1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 roma tomato, diced
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck pot roast
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 10.75 can tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon vinegar

Happy cooking everyone!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment