Monday, February 20, 2012

Braided Spaghetti Bread

Welcome everyone to the President's Day edition of Mama Feta's Meals!  (Not that there's anything remotely presidential about what I decided to cook today, just felt like reiterating what day it was).  ANYWAY, this meal I got directly off of the Rhodes Bread website, AND I managed to make this a Meatless Monday edition, as well!  Woo!
This meal was fun to make, and my boys and I have discussed the many other ways we'd like to use our remaining two loaves of Rhodes bread and what we plan on stuffing into it.  That'll be for another day but for now onto the Braided Spaghetti Bread!!
First thing's first: I had taken my package of Rhodes bread out of the freezer yesterday and put it in the fridge to let it defrost for today (I would suggest doing it that way, as well)  Make sure to take it out early enough to make the dough room temperature.  As the recipe suggested, I wiped down my counter and sprayed it with cooking spray, and then rolled out one of the loaves until it was around a 12x16 rectangle (not sure if I made it the appropriate size, but I worked on it!).  I covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit while I cooked 6 ounces of whole wheat angel hair.
After I drained the pasta and let it cool for a moment, I removed the wrap and added the pasta in a line down the dough.  I also added 1 cup of spaghetti sauce, as well as 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese.  The recipe called to cut an 8 ounce block into cubes, however, I only had already shredded cheese, so I used that instead.  I made several cuts in the dough (I knew I messed this part up based on what the recipe said, but I'm certain I'll get it right next time!).  Side note, have a picture of what kind of cuts are needed, otherwise you'll end up making too many cuts, like I did!  :)
I folded the strips in, covering everything, and moved the bread to a cookie sheet that I had already sprayed with cooking spray.  Then I took an egg white (beaten), and brushed the outside of the dough with it, as well as added some Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes to the top.
I cooked that in a preheated oven (to 350 degrees) for 33 minutes.  Once it was done, I let it cool for just a few minutes, sliced and served!
Num yummies!  This was really good.  The meal was 400 calories and only $2.73/serving!!!
Here's the recipe!

1 Loaf Rhodes Bread Dough, thawed to room temperature
6 ounces spaghetti, cooked
1 cup spaghetti sauce
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 egg white, beaten
Parmesan cheese
parsley flakes

Happy cooking everyone and happy President's day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment