Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chipotle Taco Salad


So I am an avid Mexican food fan, I could seriously eat it every day.  Which is why it's so surprising that it took so long to get some Mexican food on here!  I know I did the spaghetti tacos but those didn't exactly count for me.  :)
So for yesterday's meal, I made a chipotle taco salad.  This was really simple to make, and delicious to boot!
First thing's first!  I browned a pound of ground turkey while I chopped two tomatoes.  The recipe called for ground beef sirloin but I usually prefer to use ground turkey in place of any ground beef.  Use whichever meat suits you!
Once that was done browning, I added 1/2 cup of salsa (the recipe called for chipotle salsa but I used what I had in the fridge!), as well as 2 tablespoons of water, and cooked that for one minute.  While that was cooking, I shredded 6 cups of iceberg lettuce and put them into our bowls.
I added about four cups of tortilla chips (split into the four bowls), topped with the tomatoes, ground turkey, another 1/3 cup of salsa (split between the four bowls), 1/2 cup of fat-free sour cream, 4 medium diced green onions and 1/4 cup of shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese.
So there you have it, a delicious taco salad that took no more than 15 minutes to make.  How's that for easy?  Not to mention it was only 290 calories (possibly less with the ground turkey) and only $3.37/serving!  I love it!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound ground beef sirloin (or whichever ground meat you prefer)
1 cup chipotle salsa
2 tablespoons water
6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
4 cups baked tortilla chips
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
4 medium green onions, sliced
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment