Saturday, February 4, 2012

Slow Cooker Cajun Pot Roast with Maque Choux


All right, so this is another slow cooker meal, but I swear, it's the last one for a while!  I actually decided to make this one because I was interested in the 'maque choux' part of it.  The recipe says that it means 'smothered corn', and that's what you'll see in this recipe!
First thing's first: I took a 2 1/2 pound beef chuck roast and rubbed 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning on both sides of the roast, and then put it into the slow cooker.
Then I added 9 ounces of frozen corn to the slow cooker, as well as 1/2 cup (each) of diced green bell pepper and onion that I had chopped after that.
I then took 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes and put that into a small bowl with 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce (my husband seemed very upset by the fact that only 1/2 of a teaspoon of red pepper sauce was going into the recipe!).  I mixed that and poured it over the roast and vegetables.
I set the slow cooker on the low setting and left that to cook while I was at work (8-10 hours)!  Once I came home I pulled the roast out of the slow cooker and sliced it into smaller pieces.  The meat was so tender and delicious!
I decided to serve it by putting one spoonful of the smothered corn into our bowls first, adding the roast, and then covering the roast with the rest of the smothered corn.  It was so delicious!
This meal was only 310 calories and $3.70/serving!  Very delicious and there weren't any leftovers!
Here's the recipe!

2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 box (9 ounces) frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
12 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment