Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup (Pho)

Welcome, welcome ladies and gents!  So I was a bit preoccupied with Pinterest for the past few days, which explains my absence yesterday!  However, I found this most amazing meal from the www.eatliverun.com website.  They call it Asian Chicken Noodle Soup, which is basically Pho.
Now for those of you that don't know, I absolutely love Pho.  Having Asian blood and growing up surrounded by Asian family members, I have ALWAYS liked any food that is Asian.  When I've tried out several of the local restaurants here in town, I fell in love.
So thank you Pinterest and www.eatliverun.com because I'm finally able to make it myself!
So first thing's first: I minced two cloves of garlic, as well as 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger.  I also chopped about two cups of bok choy while I enlisted my husband to help me cut 1 pound of chicken into chunks.
Then I took my large stock pot and heat that over medium-high heat, adding 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.  I added the ginger and garlic and sauteed that for about 30 seconds, and then added the bok choy, the chicken and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
While that was cooking (for about 3-5 minutes), I thinly sliced 3 green onions, as well as 1 jalapeno pepper.
Side note: if you don't want to burn your mouth, eyes, anything that you touch after cutting a jalapeno, I suggest putting a glove on!
Once I was done with that, I added 6 cups of chicken broth, as well as the jalapeno and green onions.  I brought that to a simmer and let it cook for about 15 minutes or so.
While that was cooking, I set a pot of salted water to boil and added 5 ounces of Chinese noodles to it.  That cooked for 3 minutes and then I drained it and ran cold water over it to cool. A helpful hint people, these noodles are very thin and small, so be careful if your strainer has larger holes...I lost a few noodles not realizing that at first!!
Once the soup was done cooking the chicken, I added 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
Then I added the noodles to the soup and voila!  Dinner was served!  I added some cilantro to mine and my husband's soup.  The recipe also said it served six, but I split the extra 2 servings between the four of us!  So the calories will be based on that extra.
This was really delicious and I suggest trying this meal for sure!  It really didn't take that long, the only tedious part was the prep work of cutting everything, but once that was done it was a breeze!  The meal was 426 calories and only $2.67/serving!  Yum-my!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 cups chicken broth
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
3 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 cups bok choy, chopped
5 ounces Chinese noodles
Chopped cilantro for serving (optional)

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment