Thursday, February 16, 2012

Adobo Chicken

Okay people, so I think I've gotten prettier pictures to make you happy today, yay!  Not to mention this meal was so delicious!  Or 'ono' as we say in Hawaii...;)
I remember as a kid my mom used to make this meal a lot!  One of the most amazing things I realized when I cooked this meal was the smell brought back memories I had forgotten I had of my mother always making this.  It was really nice.  :)
So this meal actually took the evening prior as well, but you can take less time, up to your desires.  I mixed 1/3 cup (each) of apple cider vinegar and soy sauce, 6 ground peppercorns, 1 small head of garlic crushed and 1 jalapeno that I chopped.  You can choose to leave the jalapeno out, however I will note that there wasn't any spice, probably due to the prolonged marinating!
Then I added 8 chicken drumsticks with the skin removed and let that marinate overnight.  If you don't want to marinate it that long, marinate it for at least 1 hour.
I added 1/2 cup of water, 4 bay leaves and the chicken and marinade to a deep skillet and cooked that (covered) on medium-low heat for 45 minutes.
After the 45 minutes were up I uncovered it and cooked it for another 15 minutes.  This meal was actually so low in calories that I was able to add rice AND corn to the meal.  AMAZING!
Really it was very, very delicious, and reminded me of younger years.  Glad I could share it with my men!  :)  The chicken was only 175 calories, but with the rice and corn STILL managed to be under my 500 calorie limit at 443 calories and only $4.04/serving!  Woo hoo!!
Here's the recipe!

8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 small head of garlic, crushed
6 ground peppercorns
4 bay leaves
1 jalapeno, chopped

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment