Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Romantic Chicken with Artichokes and Mushrooms

Okay, so I wasn't even going to do this meal; I started it yesterday and deleted it.  Not because it didn't taste good; because it did; but because I really didn't like the way the pictures turned out!  This meal, visually, I felt, was kind of unappealing.  Then I realized it's not about ME, and maybe someone else might like it!  :)  So here we go with my Valentine meal from yesterday!  I got this recipe from allrecipes.com.
First thing's first: I added some salt and pepper to four pieces of chicken thighs (the recipe called for chicken breasts but I used what I had!).  Then I added 1 tablespoon (each) of olive oil and butter to a skillet that was warmed over medium heat.  I cooked the chicken about 5 minutes per side, and then removed from the skillet.
Then I added a 14 ounce can of artichoke hearts (quartered with liquid reserved) and 1 cup of sliced mushrooms to the skillet and sauteed them until the mushrooms were browned.
Then I added the chicken back into the skillet along with the reserved artichoke liquid and 1 cup of chicken broth.  The recipe called for white wine but we didn't have any in the house so I improvised!  I put the heat to low and simmered the mixture for 15 minutes so the chicken could finish cooking.  Then I added 1 tablespoon of capers and let that simmer for another 5 minutes.
Then voila!!  Meal complete!  There was quite a bit of liquid that I felt would go unused so I also decided to whip up some red skinned garlic mashed potatoes to put beneath it and guess what??  Delcious!
The meal, with the garlic mashed potatoes, was only 413 calories!  If you decide to only do the chicken then the calories on that was only 312 and only $3.80/serving!  Happy Valentine's Day indeed!!!!
Here's the recipe!

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 (14 ounce) can marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon capers

Happy cooking!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment