Thursday, February 2, 2012

Baked Ziti with Roasted Tomatoes


Tonight's meal was another delicious pasta dish!  It didn't take too long, but if you're short on time I suggest maybe dicing the veggies in the morning or the night before to help with the time.
So first thing's first.  I preheated my oven to 375 degrees.  While that was heating up I started to boil some water to cook 2 1/2 cups of uncooked ziti pasta.
While that was cooking I chopped one sweet onion, diced two cloves of garlic and cut one zucchini (I sliced it in half lengthwise and then made 1/4 inch slices).
Then I cooked 1/2 pound of ground turkey (this recipe also called for ground beef), along with the chopped onion and garlic.
Once that was done cooking I drained it.  Then I added the zucchini and cooked that for 2 minutes.  After that I added 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce, 1 14.5 ounce of fire roasted diced tomatoes (drained), 2 teaspoons of dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and brought that to a boil.
Once that boiled I tossed it with the pasta and put it into a glass baking dish and then covered it with foil and let it bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
When the 20 minutes were up, I added 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and let it cook for another 5 minutes uncovered and voila!  Dinner was served!
It was really delicious.  My oldest son went back for seconds and thirds!  It was only 280 calories and only $2.85/serving!  Seriously!!!!
Here's the recipe!

2 1/2 cups uncooked ziti pasta
1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (or ground turkey if you prefer)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 ounce) fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
11/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment