Monday, February 13, 2012

Taco Soup

Good evening ladies and germs!!  Tonight's meal was so RIDICULOUSLY easy that I almost had to reread the recipe a few times to make sure I wasn't missing a step!
So here are the items that are required for this meal:
One of the things I love about meals like this is when I come home from work and have to help my two boys with homework or projects (or filling out Valentine's cards!), I don't really have to worry about setting up a slow cooker meal, I can still manage something delicious in a smaller amount of time, while still helping them!
So first thing's first: The recipe, from the Taste of Home website, calls to brown 1 pound of ground beef, but as my fellow readers know, I prefer to use ground turkey instead!  I browned it on medium heat.
Since it was the leaner ground turkey, I didn't even have to drain it!  Then I added 1 package of taco seasoning, 2 cans (each) of Ranch Style beans, corn and diced tomatoes.  Then I simmered it for about 15 minutes.
Then that was basically it!  The recipe also suggested to add tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and serve it with tortillas.  After deciding to use the chips as the way to scoop the soup out (YUM!), I thought the tortillas might have been too much, so all I did was topped it with cheese and everyone used the chips as forks!
It was very delicious and filling, and there were a TON of leftovers!  The meal stated it was 380 calories but I'm assuming it would be less with the ground turkey.  It also cost only $3.40/serving!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
2 can (15.25 ounces each) whole kernel corn, undrained
2 can (15 ounces each) Ranch Style beans
2 can (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
Crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheddar cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment