Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

All right my friends, this will be my last post for a few days, as I will be recovering from my PRK surgery!  Ooooooooh!
Source: Adapted from Emily Bites
Tonight's meal was soooo good!  First thing's first!  Here are the ingredients that I used:
First thing I did was dice one green bell pepper and one large onion.
Then the recipe called for ground beef but I decided to use ground chicken.  I browned that in a skillet over medium high heat until it was cooked, and then I added the bell pepper and onion, and cooked until they were softened.  Then I added 3 tablespoons steak sauce, 1 cup of beef broth (I supposed I should have used chicken broth but the beef broth ended up giving it a unique flavor!) and some salt and pepper to taste.
I let that cook until it bubbled, and then added 3/4 cup of the mixture to some wheat sub rolls and topped it with a slice of provolone cheese.
Then I put it on the top rack and broiled it for about 30 seconds to a minute, but keep an eye on it!  The cheese melts fast and can quickly burn!
And voila!  This was delicious, especially with the chicken!  The meal was only 334 calories (I'm assuming a little less with the chicken) and only $2.06/serving (based on the recipe saying it would give 5 servings).  We had leftovers for another day so yummy!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound 95% lean ground chicken
1 large white onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
3 tablespoons steak sauce
1 cup fat free beef broth
salt and pepper to taste
5 wheat sub rolls
5 slices Provolone cheese

Happy cooking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment