Monday, February 6, 2012

California Chicken Sandwiches


Apologies for the absence!  The family and I were taking an 'unplugged' day from all electronics!  I know it seems crazy not to watch the Super Bowl, but our family isn't too much into football, and we wanted some quality time!
So onward and outward, this meal is from Saturday, I made California Chicken Sandwiches!  First thing is I sliced the loaf of nine grain bread, that I had gotten from the bakery section of the grocery store, into 8 slices and toasted the slices.  The recipe called for already sliced sourdough, but I wanted to make it even healthier, so I got the nine grain.  I also sliced 1 roma tomato into 8 slices.
Then I grated 1/2 teaspoon of lemon peel and added that to 3 tablespoons of reduced-fat mayonnaise, 1 chopped green onion and 1 teaspoon of paprika.
I also mixed in 1 clove of garlic that I chopped to make the spread for the sandwiches.  I put that in the fridge while I prepped the other items.
I used some leftover rotisserie chicken and shredded it to make 2 cups.  I also sliced 1 avocado and from there I put the sandwiches together.  I spread the mayonnaise mixture on one side of the slices, and then added the tomato, the chicken and then the avocado..
There you have it!  For one sandwich, it was 270 calories and only$2.39/serving!  I also made a garlic and olive oil pasta on the side, so those calories were 204 with a total calories of 474, still under my goal of 500 calories!
Here's the recipe!

3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 medium green onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
8 slices sourdough bread, toasted
8 slices tomato
2 cups shredded chicken
1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 12 slices

No comments:

Post a Comment