Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dessert Edition: Chocolate Domo Heart Cookies!!!

Happy almost valentine's day my good people!  As a special valentine's treat (for both my family and all of you!) I am going to do a dessert blog as well tonight and, who knows, maybe I'll keep doing it after this!  :)
So I first found this recipe on Pinterest (my newest obsession, as you can tell), and followed the recipe on the Alana Bread and the Martha Stewart to pull the Sugar cookie recipe per Ms. Alana's instructions!  Let me tell you, my hat is off to you Alana, these cookies were not easy, but they were so fun and even my husband joined in and enjoyed himself!
First thing's first, I added flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and whisked it to mix and set it aside.  Then in my mixer, I creamed butter and sugar until it was light and fluffy.
Then I beat in 1 egg and vanilla.  Once that was mixed I slowly added flour while the mixer was on the low setting.
Then I split 1/4 of the dough into a separate bowl and added red food coloring for the Domo mouths, and just under 1/4 cup of cocoa went into the other portion of the dough.

Note: make sure to wrap these in plastic and then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight!  I didn't actually have plastic at the time and when I took the chocolate dough out it gave me some trouble, so use the plastic!  I left it in the fridge until after dinner time, so it was about 6-7 hours or so, but you can keep it in overnight if you choose.
While the dough stayed in the fridge, I started to make the 'Royal icing' that the recipe called for.  I wasn't exactly sure what Royal icing was and when I looked it up, there was a recipe on the Martha Stewart website as well!  This one was really easy.  I beat two egg whites until they were fluffy but still wet
Then I added 4 cups of powdered sugar and the juice from one lemon and beat that for about a minute and voila!  Royal icing!  Looks pretty, right??  It tasted amazing!
Once the dough had been refrigerated, I had my husband help me roll out the chocolate dough and use our heart-shaped cookie cutter to make a few cookies!  Here's where the tricky part came in.  The recipe called to use a rectangle cookie cutter, which I didn't have, nor could I find!  So I had to just cut it by hand.  It wasn't perfect but it certainly gave them all character!  Then I had my husband help me again to cut similar rectangles out of the red dough.  We cut and re sized as needed and put them into the mouth holes of the heart cookies!
We let them cook for about 7-8 minutes in a 355 degree preheated oven.  Once they were done we let them cool and I put some of the frosting into one of my frosting bags (a plastic bag will also work, this is what I've done for YEARS until I finally broke down and got myself some!  I actually got them at Michael's for only $8.99!) and then drew the mouths on.  These were a bit tricky as the recipe said to draw two lines and then use a toothpick to bring down the points.  However, by the time I went to do it, the frosting had hardened.  I suspect this was due to not letting it cool long enough, but not to worry!  I decided to just make teeth with additional frosting and it worked!  I added black candy beads for the eyes and voila!  Domo Cookies!
Happy almost Valentine's Day everyone!  Here are the links again to the recipes:
Domo Cookies
Sugar Cookies to make Domo Cookies
Royal Frosting for the teeth

Happy cooking my friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment