Sunday, February 19, 2012

Chicken Spaghetti Casserole

Hello everyone and happy Sunday to you all!!!  Today's meal I got from www.recipegirl.com and it was delicious!!
So first thing's first: I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and while that was heating I cooked 7 ounces of whole wheat angel hair pasta until it was al dente (about 6 minutes), drained it and set it aside.
Then I sliced 2 cups of mushrooms, chopped 1 medium onion and then 1/2 cup (each) of celery and red and green bell peppers.  I also chopped 2 cups of cooked chicken to use in later step. Is it just me or are meals so much more fun to make when the ingredients are as colorful as these??

I melted one tablespoon of butter and added all of the veggies (um yum!).  Seriously, look below at how pretty this is!
I know, right?  While that was cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes, I mixed 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with 1 cup of milk.  The recipe called for nonfat milk, however, since we have 3/4 members of this family that are lactose intolerant, I used lactose free and fat free milk, and it worked just fine.  I then added that mixture to the veggies, along with 8 ounces of cheddar cheese.
I mixed that until the cheese melted and the sauce was smooth.  Then I added the chicken I had previously chopped, the pasta I had previously cooked, and 1 teaspoon of hot sauce.  The recipe called for Tabasco sauce, but I didn't have any so I used what I had, which was Tapatio (I LOVE me some Tapatio!).  I also added a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
I mixed it together and then put it into a casserole dish that I had previously sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  I added 1/2 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese and put it into the preheated microwave for 35 minutes.
Once it was done I took it out and let it cool for a moment because it was HOT!  Then I put it into bowls and voila!  Dinner was served (yum)!
Very filling and very delicious!  The meal was 490 calories and only $3.93/serving!  What?!?  I know, I hardly believe it myself sometimes...:)
Here's the recipe!!!

7 ounces thin spaghetti
1 tablespoon salted butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
2 (10.75 ounces) can fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 cup nonfat milk
8 ounces cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment