Monday, January 30, 2012

Chicken with Mediterranean Vegetables


Since it was Sunday yesterday and I actually had some additional time to devote to cooking, I decided to give everyone a break on the slow cooker meals and do something different, yeah!  Although this meal I prepared was still very easy to do even if you wanted to try it during the work week.
So first thing's first, I took 4 pieces of chicken (the recipe called for chicken breasts but I used chicken thighs) and then sprinkled both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and cooked the chicken over medium-high heat until it browned on both sides; about a total of 6-7 minutes.
 While that was cooking, I chopped 1 yellow squash and about 1/3 of a cup of white onions (the recipe called for yellow but I prefer white or sweet onions when I cook).

 Once the chicken was browned, I set that aside in the microwave to keep warm and cooked the onion and squash for about five minutes.
Then I added 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes.  The recipe called for diced tomatoes with rosemary and oregano, however, since I wasn't able to find this particular type of diced tomatoes I just added my own rosemary and oregano (dried) to the diced tomatoes to get the flavor it needed.  Once that was stirred in I added the chicken back to the skillet, lowered the heat, covered it and cooked it for about 11 minutes.  After that it was done!
All in all the total time to make this was only about 30-35 minutes, so this is certainly a meal that can be done during the week after work.  You can add whatever side you'd like to this, I made garlic mashed potatoes, yummy!  This was only about 249 calories and cost about $2.16/serving.  Can't go wrong there!
Here's the recipe!

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless chicken breasts (or whichever type of chicken you'd prefer)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped yellow squash
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with rosemary and oregano (if you can't find this, you can certainly add your own as I did)

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment