Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Smothered Pork Chops


Hey there, hi there, ho there everyone!!  I know it has been a minute but there was some serious birthday weekend action going on for my sister's 35th birthday!!!  So please, forgiveness for the slacking but I will make up with two in a row...what?!?  That's right...TWO!!
Today's recipe, which is technically yesterday's recipe but let's not split hairs, is Smothered Pork Chops!  First thing's first, I took a cup of brown rice and let it cook in a rice cooker.  If you don't have a rice cooker, just follow the instructions on the bag.  Also, the recipe called for white rice but I was trying for a healthier version!
Usually I rinse the rice out a couple of times before filling it with the right amount of water.  I've learned from experience that if you put your index finger to the top of the rice and let the water fill up to the first line on your finger, that tends to be just the right amount of water to cook however much rice is in there.
After that I chopped 2 cloves of garlic,
and threw that into a skillet with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 4 bone-in pork chops.  The recipe calls for six, but the ones I ended up buying were huge and I could only fit four in the pan!
I let that cook until the pork chops were brown, adding salt and pepper to taste on both sides.  It ended up being about 5-6 minutes per side, but it'll depend on the size and stove temperature how long it will take on yours.  While those were cooking, I mixed a can of French onion soup and 2 tbsp. of cornstarch.
Then I poured that over the cooked pork chops and brought it to a boil, reduced the heat to medium and cooked for another 15 minutes, until it was cooked all the way through.
I served it over the brown rice, and also decided to serve some corn!
With everything, including the corn, it ended up being about 425 calories, and it was also around $3.12/serving!  Very tasty and not enough!  Everyone was asking for more!
Here's the recipe:

1 cup uncooked white rice (or brown if you prefer a healthier version)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 bone-in pork chops (again, depending on how large they are, you may only be able to do 4-5)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (18.5oz.) French onion soup
2 tbsp. cornstarch

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment