Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Stew


So, honestly, what is the point of cold weather if not to allow for slow cooker cooking?!?!?  I absolutely LOVE using my slow cooker, especially when it's cold, and it HAS been pretty cold the past few days, so I thought 'why not?'
For today's meal, I put about 2lbs. of beef stew meat, 1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes and 1 tsp. chili powder into my slow cooker.  It also called for a bag of frozen onions, but I was out so I just did without.  I will definitely try it next time, though!
I set the slow cooker on low and let that cook while I went to work for about 9-11 hours (I believe it ended up being closer to 11 hours).  When I got home I added a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), a can of Mexicorn (drained) and a packet of taco seasoning.  That just had to cook on high for another 15 minutes or so and that...is ...it!  Not only was this easy, but it was DElicious!!
The recipe called to add some Mexican cheese on top, but all I had was Mozzarella so I improvised!  It was only 440 calories and only $3.62/serving!  Seriously, I don't make up these calories or cost people...you can do it, I promise!
Here's the recipe!

2lbs. beef stew meat
1 can (28oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp. chili powder
1 package (1oz.) taco seasoning mix
1 can (15oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (11oz.) Mexicorn, drained
Mexican cheese blend to top (or your choice of cheese)

Happy cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment