Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Slow Cooker Turkey and Brown Rice Chili


All right ladies and gents, it's another day and another meal needs to be cooked!!  I knew this week was going to be pretty hectic so I decided to make it a slow cooker week!  Yeah!  I know I'm excited.  :)
Today's slow cooker meal is slow cooker turkey and brown rice chili!  So first thing's first: I heat up 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil over medium heat and cooked 1 lb. of ground turkey until brown.
The recipe called for 1 cup of diced onions to be cooked with the ground turkey, but I added it on the next step, because I didn't feel like overcooking the onions on this one.  :)  While the ground turkey was cooking I added the onion, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 1 can of chili beans, 1 can of chopped green chilies, 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp. of sugar,  2 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 1/2 tsp. salt into the slow cooker.
Once the ground turkey was cooked, I added it to the slow cooker and put it on the low setting and went to work and let it do its job!
When I got home, I threw 2 cups of brown rice into the rice cooker.  Follow steps from the previous blog about the right amount of water to use for rice!
Once that was done cooking, I threw it into the slow cooker and changed the setting to high to cook for another 15 minutes.
And voila!  The meal is done!  I mean, honestly, the slow cooker does most of the work but who doesn't love to be able to come home and smell dinner already cooking and almost ready?!?
I added just a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese, and I myself particularly love Sriracha sauce on my chili (one day I will devote a blog to the different hot sauces I like with each meal :)).  Of course, add whatever suits your desires!
The meal was only 240 calories and literally $1.98/serving...I mean honestly!
Here's the recipe!

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cans (14.5oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15-16oz.) chili beans in sauce, undrained
1 can (4.5oz.) chopped green chilies, drained
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cooked brown rice

Happy cooking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment