Friday, January 27, 2012

Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Stew


Hey there, hi there, ho there everyone!  It's true, I'm harassing twice in one day again...I'm not exactly sure how you will ever be able to handle it!  :)  Today was, of course, another slow cooker meal.  I just can't seem to get enough of them!  Honestly, though, it's because my current office has moved farther away and my time is even more limited now.
Not to worry, though!  I will make sure to get back to cooking more, as well.  My slow cooker probably can't handle all of this use anyway!
So first thing's first!  I added four chicken breast halves (the recipe called to cut them into small pieces, but I prefer to leave them whole to let the slow cooker do its job!), 1 19 ounce can of cannellini beans (make sure they're drained and rinsed!), 1 15.5 ounce can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed too!), 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes, a cup EACH of chopped celery and sliced carrots, and two small cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped, into the slow cooker!!
Then I took 1 1/2 cups of water (the recipe called for dry red wine or even chicken broth, but I was out of both!), 3 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning (again, I was out so I improvised with basil and oregano) into a bowl and mixed well!  Then I poured THAT onto the mixture in the slow cooker.
I put the slow cooker onto its low setting and left it to do its thing while I went to work!  When I got home, all I had to do was shred the chicken and voila!  Dinner was served!!
It was very hearty and filling, and only 410 calories!  It was also only $2.97/serving!  Wow, right?  Here's the recipe!

boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
(19-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
(15.5 or 15-oz.) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
(14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
cup chopped celery
cup (2 medium) sliced carrots
small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine
tablespoons tomato paste
tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning

Happy cooking my friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment