Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Curried Chicken Soup


So remember the good 'ol college days when money was tight and all you could afford to eat was ramen?  How GLAD were you when you got a little extra money to buy something else?  For me, even in college, that was never the case because I'm from Hawaii and all we do is cook noodles.  :)  However, I definitely always tried to find different ways to change up the noodles that were still within my budget but completely different from regular ramen noodles.
Bring in last night's meal: Curried Chicken Soup!  This was fast, easy and really delicious!  First thing I did was cut up some mushrooms,
then I sliced some water chestnuts (you can certainly buy the pre-sliced ones if you don't feel like chopping!),
and I cored and diced one apple (I used a Gala apple, but the recipe isn't specific on which on to use).
Then I cup up 2 cups of cooked chicken.  Now you can cook some chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or whichever type of chicken you want, but when a recipe calls for 'cooked' chicken, I love buying those already cooked rotisserie chickens; it always adds another flavor element to the meal.
Next I added five cups of water to a pot and started heating that to boil.
Then I added chicken flavoring from a chicken flavored ramen packet,
as well as 3 tsp. of curry powder.
Once that started to boil, I broke up the ramen noodles and added that, and the mushrooms to the pot.  That needed to boil for another 3-4 minutes.
Then I added the rest of the ingredients (the chicken, apples and water chestnuts) and let that cook through until warmed, it was probably about another 5 minutes or so.  And there you have it, Curried Chicken Soup!  And this meal was only 217 calories per serving yet really filling!  It was also about $3.20/serving, but keep in mind I paid a little extra to get the rotisserie chicken.  The serving cost could go down depending on what type of chicken you choose to use.
So the next time you walk past the ramen aisle don't shudder at terrible memories of hunger in college, grab a bag and make this meal!
Here's the recipe:

Curried Chicken Soup
5 cups water
1 3oz. package chicken-flavored ramen noodles
3 tsp. curry powder
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment