Wednesday, August 7, 2013

BLT with Avocado and Asian-Style Oven-Fried Sweet Potatoes

Hello fellow chef-fery friends!!  It has been some time (what else is new!) but I have a delicious meal that you'll want to try, you just wait and see!!
This is actually two different recipes because I needed a side.  Plus it's sweet potatoes.  I mean...come on.  I think it HAS to be made if it's a sweet potato, at least in this house!
So, the first thing I did was start to prep the potatoes, as the chopping took the longest (of course!).  I first preheated my oven to 400 degrees and then  I took one large sweet potato and peeled it, and then cut it in half and then into 3x3/4-inch wedges.  Okay, let's be honest, I didn't MEASURE the dang potatoes to make sure they matched what this recipe stated, but I'm positive I eyed it efficiently!  :)  Once that was done, I mixed 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs with 1/4 teaspoon (each) of kosher salt, garlic powder and ground ginger in a small bowl.  In another bowl I placed my pre-cut potatoes and coated it with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.  Once the potatoes were sufficiently coated, I poured the bread crumb mixture over the potatoes and tossed it to coat.
I then took a cookie sheet, covered it with some foil and sprayed it, lightly, with cooking spray.  The potatoes went on this prepped sheet in a single layer and any additional crumb mixture I had I sprinkled over the top of the potatoes.  Then I let that cook in the oven for about 25-30 minutes (I think it was just right at the 27 1/2 mark).
While that was cooking, I started to fry the center cut bacon strips for the BLT.  I also sliced some tomatoes, ripped off some lettuce and sliced 1 avocado.
Once the potatoes were done cooking, I put them on the side and toasted some 8-grain whole wheat bread and put the BLT's together.  I put a side of the potatoes with each sandwich and voila!!  Dinner was served!!  This meal, minus the slicing, was obviously easy yet surprisingly filling (must be the bread and potatoes!).  Each recipe made four servings total and was a total of only 422 calories!  The BLT sandwich by itself was 292 calories and one serving of the potatoes was only 130 calories!  Yowza!!  The best part?  It was only $2.16/serving!  Whoop whoop!
Here are the recipes:

BLT with Avocado

12 sliced center cut bacon
8 slices 8-grain whole wheat bread, toasted
1 cup lettuce of your choice (I used Romaine)
8 thin slices tomato
1 haas avocado, sliced

Asian-Style Oven-Fried Sweet Potatoes

1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in half and cut into 3x3/4-inch wedges
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment