Thursday, August 8, 2013

South of the Border Meatloaf with Homemade Refried Beans

So, wow...this meal was delicious.  Seriously.  Oh my goodness, please make this, the entire family loved it!
I prepped a bit of the recipe again last night because I knew I'd have to start part of it in the slow cooker today and I wanted to be prepared!  So I pre-chopped the veggies for both the meatloaf and the beans last night and when I woke up this morning I got the beans going.  So the original recipe stated to let the beans cook in the slow cooker on high for eight hours but this immediately worried me because I knew I'd be at work all day and unable to check the water levels.  If you've ever made homemade beans, it's stressful!  The water always went down way too fast on me!
So I dumped the pre-chopped onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic into the slow cooker, along with my dry pinto beans and some salt, black pepper and cumin.  Then I topped it all with 9 cups of water and set it to low and went to work!
When I came home, I actually decided to throw the slow cooker on high (because the beans felt a little hard still) and went about getting the meatloaf in the oven!
I preheat my oven to 350 degrees and, in a medium bowl, mixed part ground beef and ground turkey with salsa, bread crumbs, the pre-chopped onions and garlic, as well as some corn, chili powder, cumin, pepper and salt.  When that was mixed, I put it into my loaf pan and made the ketchup topping.  This consisted of tomato sauce, ketchup and some sugar.  I put that on top of the meatloaf, covered it with foil and threw it into the oven for about 1 hour.
When my meatloaf had about 15 minutes left, I took the beans out of the slow cooker (with a strainer, but I saved the liquid) and dumped it into a blender with some of the liquid.  UNFORTUNATELY, I'm not exactly sure how much liquid I put in there.  Just eyeball it and, depending on how well the beans blend, you can always add more.  Also, depending on the consistency you want your beans to turn out like.  I made them extra smooth and HOLY BEANS, it was delicious!
When that was done, I set it aside and, with five minutes left on the timer, I took the foil off of the meatloaf and let it cook uncovered.  Then I let the meatloaf sit for an additional 10 minutes and voila!!  Dinner was served!  So, I'm saddened to say the loaf 'pieces' didn't work out so well and turned into more of what looked like a chili, so I'm using the 'before serving' photos.  I hope that works!!  The meatloaf had 8 servings at only 149.7 calories/serving (so you KNOW my boys all went back for more) and the beans made 15 servings with only 139 calories/serving!!  The best part???  All of this was only $2.74/serving...seriously!
Here's the recipes!

South of the Border Meatloaf
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
8 ounces ground turkey
3/4 cup salsa
3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon sugar

Homemade Refried Beans
1 onion, peeled and halved
3 cup dry pinto beans
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
9 cups water

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment