Sunday, August 11, 2013

Roast Beef Sandwich with Melted Cheese and Caramelized Onions & Quinoa with Black Beans

OH...MY...QUINOA!!!!  Okay, seriously, this meal was amazing and I INSIST you make this meal as soon as possible!!  It did end up taking me an additional day of prep for the roast beef, but not to worry!  It really isn't as bad as it sounds!
So first thing's first: make the roast beef!!!!  :)  I took an eye round roast out of the fridge one hour before I prepped and cooked it!  I heat the oven to 350 degrees and then I trimmed the fat, making 1/2 inch slices all over the roast and putting sliced garlic into the slices.  Then I lightly sprayed the roast with olive oil cooking spray and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper, as well as dried rosemary.  Once that was done, I put a meat thermometer into it and allowed it to cooked until it was medium rare (when the thermometer reads 140 degrees).  Make sure to take the roast out at 135 degrees as the roast will cook further as it sits.  If you want your meat cooked at a different level, keep the roast in there until 145 degrees for medium (take out at 140 degrees) or 160 degrees for well done (take out at 155 degrees).
When that was cooked, I sliced it thin, put it into some Tupperware and put it in the fridge until today!  If you have a bit more time in your day, I'm sure this could all be done within the same day no problem.
So today, I prepped the veggies for the sandwiches and quinoa, slicing an onion into rings, as well as chopping a tomato, fresh cilantro and green onions.  I also freshly squeezed some lime juice, finely chopped a garlic clove, took out some frozen corn to thaw as well as drained and rinsed some black beans.
When THAT was done, I put some vegetable broth into a saucepan and heat it to boiling.  Once it was boiling, I reduced the heat to low and added the quinoa, covering and allowing it to cook for 20 minutes.
While that was cooking, I started the caramelization of the onions!  I put some olive oil into a skillet on medium-low heat and added the onion rings, seasoning with salt and pepper.  I let that cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally while it browned slightly.
When the quinoa was done cooking, I fluffed it with a fork and added the veggies to it, along with the drained black beans, thawed corn and some salt.  I let that cook through while I finished the sandwiches.
I took a whole wheat French bread loaf and cut it into four pieces, and then cut those four pieces open, putting them on a cookie sheet while I started the broiler.  After I briefly reheated the meat in the microwave for just a minute, I put the roast beef onto bread pieces, followed by the caramelized onions and then topped with a piece of provolone cheese on each sandwich.  I let that broil in the oven for two minutes, served it with a side of the quinoa and voila!!  Dinner was served!!!
There were lots of 'mmmm' noises because the beef was so flavorful and, added with the onions and cheese, created such a delicious sandwich!  The sandwiches made four servings and the quinoa made eight!  It was only 365 calories/serving for the sandwiches, along with 130 calories/serving for the quinoa, totalling 495 calories for the whole meal!  The best part?  It was only $3.41/serving!!!!!
Here's the recipe!

Garlic Roast Beef:
3 pound eye round roast, fat trimmed
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
olive oil spray
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons dried rosemary

Roast Beef Sandwich with Melted Cheese and Caramelized Onions:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large white onion, sliced into rings
salt and black pepper, to taste
12 ounces Garlic Roast Beef, sliced thin
8 ounces whole wheat French bread, cut into four pieces
4 ounces provolone cheese

Quinoa with Black Beans:
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup black beans (from 15 ounce can), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 small tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 medium green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment