Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cuban Picadillo

Oh yes, two in one day!!  What exactly are you going to do with yourself and so many food options?  :)
Okay, so this meal was DEEEEEEElicious!  I also knew we'd be home a bit later when I made this tonight, so I chopped the veggies last night and put everything else out in order to assist me!
So first thing's first: I chopped 1/2 of a large onion, minced 2 cloves of garlic, chopped 1 tomato, finely chopped 1/2 of a green bell pepper, and took 2 tablespoons of cilantro and washed it.  I put all of that in a tupperware for the next day but if you have time, just do it right then!
Then I took 1 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground beef and cooked it over medium heat, seasoning it with kosher salt and pepper.  Once the meat was done cooking, I drained it and added the veggie mix, which is called 'sofrito'.  I cooked it on low heat and added 2 tablespoons capers and 2 tablespoons of the brine from the capers.  I also added 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 bay leaves and a bit more salt for flavor.  Once that was all mixed, I added 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, along with 1/4 cup water and mixed well.  Then I covered it and allowed it to simmer for 15-20 minutes (again, I took it out right at the 17 1/2 minute mark).
While it was cooking, I also started to cook some white rice to serve with it.  Guess what?  Once it had simmered, voila!!!  Dinner was served!!  The meal made 6 servings at only $1.48/serving and was also only 170 calories/serving!!!  With the rice (each of us had about 1/4 cup of rice) it was only another 55 calories more.  I know, right?!?
All of my guys kept making the 'mmmm' noises during this meal, it was silly!  :)
Here's the recipe:

1/2 large chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup tomato sauce
kosher salt
pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons capers (along with 2 tablespoons of the brine from the capers)

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment