Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chicken Shawarma with Hummus and Pitas

My goodness, was this meal ever delicious!  I feel like crying.  I think hubs even cried.  I know my boys were stoked on it.  The flavors in this were unreal.  Anyway, enough ranting on the flavors and onto how to make this!
So first thing's first: if you'd like to do this the actual way the recipe states, make sure you start at least two hours prior to cooking to prep!  It's mainly to allow the marinade to sit, however, as I'm notorious for, I didn't read ahead prior to starting this meal and the marinade really only sat for about 20 minutes or so but WOW.  Still delicious!  I seriously can't get over it.
Anyway, get some chicken breasts and cut them into pieces and put them into a separate bowl.  Then, in a smaller bowl, I mixed some extra virgin olive oil with fresh lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, dried thyme, paprika, cumin, turmeric, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon and cayenne pepper.  Now I know right about now you're like "CINNAMON AND NUTMEG??"  I know, right?  I thought the same thing, but hey, it worked!
Once that was mixed, I poured that on top of my chicken and put it in the fridge while I started the hummus.
FIRST, however, I soaked some wooden skewers in water to make sure they wouldn't splinter.  Once that was sitting, I took some white beans, minced garlic cloves, low-fat plain yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper and fresh chopped parsley.  I put all of that into a blender and let 'er rip until it was smooth (PS make sure to drain and rinse the beans before putting them into the blender!!).  Once THAT was done, I put that into another bowl, covered it, and let it chill while I started to cook the chicken.
I took it out of the fridge and put the chicken onto the skewers while I was heating my grill pan over medium heat (feel free to use an actual grill if you like, I just love my grill pan) and then I cooked the chicken, turning once or twice, for about 15 minutes or so.  Just make sure the chicken is cooked through!
Then I cut up some whole wheat pita bread and served it with the shawarma and hummus and voila!!!  Dinner was served!!!
My family has been obsessed with hummus now for quite some time, and I've made several different types of homemade hummus, I'm just glad I finally remembered to take a photo of one so I could blog about it!
So, now don't get angry, but this meal went over my usual 500 calorie goal.  I KNOW!!!!!!  But listen, you're allowed to cheat a little, right?  It wasn't too much over, and it was really filling and delicious, so please, try it!  The shawarma was 361 calories per serving, the hummus was about 62 calories per serving.  The pita bread I used was 170 calories per pita (this is what did us in but WHATEVER, it was delicious!), for a total of 593 calories.  Gasp!  I know!  It's okay, calm down.  The flavors are worth that extra 93 calories, I promise!  It was also about $2.57/serving (there were four servings from the shawarma but I believe I've gotten about 12 servings from the hummus, there's still leftovers!).
Here's the recipe!!

Chicken Shawarma:
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 wooden skewers (I was able to put 5 pieces onto each skewer)

Hummus (I made more, but this is for the servings on the recipe, which states 6):
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon pepper
19 ounces chickpeas (or white beans), drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment