Saturday, August 17, 2013

Grilled Asian Ginger Pork Chops with Asian Coleslaw

So the past few days have been a bit nuts since it was my brother's 28th birthday!!  As I'm sure I've mentioned to you all before, birthdays with my family tend to last for several days, and this birthday was no different!
Anyway, I've finally been able to get back into the swing of things and let me tell you, this meal was delicious and REALLY filling (surprisingly for everyone haha).  It also took quite a bit of prep work, so be prepared!  Probably not as much prep work as I put myself through if you'd like to go the easier route, but I'm apparently a glutton for prep punishment.  ;)  This recipe also made me giggle a bit because, technically, I'M an Asian Ginger.  I'm a fake Ginger, but it still made me giggle!
So first thing's first: I actually started the pork chops the night before as it can marinate for a few hours or overnight and I'm always partial to overnight marinating.  It just makes the flavors that much more delicious!  So I brought out one of my larger Tupperware and mixed together some orange juice (I actually fresh-squeezed this, hence why my prep took a bit longer, but ready-made orange juice works just as well), soy sauce, minced ginger, grated orange zest, minced garlic, Sriracha and some salt.  Once that was mixed, I added the pork chops, making sure to coat them evenly, covered the Tupperware and put it into the fridge overnight.
Now this afternoon I started the prep on the coleslaw because, again, I made the prep more difficult than it needed to be.  This coleslaw was intended to be a really easy meal with bagged coleslaw mix, however, I didn't want to just grab a bag and dump it.  So I grated some cabbage and carrots and set that aside while I made the coleslaw dressing.  I mixed some orange marmalade, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, grated ginger and salt.  Then I poured the dressing over the grated coleslaw, added some green onion and mixed it, covering it with foil and putting it into the fridge to allow the flavors to blend.
Then I brought out my grill pan (feel free to use an actual grill if you'd like, I just can't handle waiting for the 'real' grill to heat up, I get antsy!), sprayed some cooking spray on it and turned the heat onto high.  Once that was nice and preheated, I put my chops on and let them cook 5 minutes per side, throwing a little extra marinade on top each time just to help keep it moist.
Once that was done, I plated it with a side of the coleslaw and voila!!!  Dinner was served.
We are still VERY full from this meal, however, it was ridiculously low in calories.  Only 136 calories/pork chop and only 70 calories per serving of the coleslaw!!  There were a total of 6 pork chop servings and 8 coleslaw servings.  Had we wanted, we could easily gone back for seconds but we were all stuffed!!  It was also only $1.79/serving!  Right?!?!
Here's the recipe:

Grilled Asian Ginger Pork Chops:
1/2 cup orange juice (fresh-squeezed or already squeezed, whichever you prefer!)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick

Asian Coleslaw:
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag (16 ounces) coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots.  If you're feeling gluttonous like me, I used 1/2 head of cabbage and about 10-12 small carrots and grated those)
4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment