Friday, August 9, 2013

One Pot Spaghetti

Oh hi fellow cooking friends (fiends?)!!  I'm back at it again with another tasty, low calorie and low cost meal made just for you!!  Okay, maybe made just for family, but I'm sharing it with you!  Yay!
So I've seen this trend popping up on Pinterest where it's a one pot pasta-type meal and I just had to try one myself.  Let me tell you, this was almost as easy and exciting as using the slow cooker (oh how little it takes to keep me occupied!).
So, since this was a 'one pot' meal, I made sure to take photos during the process, too!  They aren't the best, so please bare with me!
First thing's first: I browned 1 pound of extra lean ground beef in a large pot of medium heat while my hubs assisted with chopping the onions and mincing the garlic.  Once I had cooked the meat for about 7 minutes or so, I added the chopped onions and minced garlic and cooked that until there was no longer any pink in the meat.
Once the meat was browned, I added some oregano, salt and pepper and mixed well.
Then I poured some vegetable broth and tomato sauce in the meat mixture and brought it to a boil.
Once it boiled, I added the pasta (this time I used elbow macaroni, but really, you can use any kind), reduced the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 17 minutes.

Once that was done I topped each serving with Parmesan cheese and voila!!  Dinner was served!!!
This was such an easy prep and easy to cook meal and would work great if you don't have a ton of time after your day.  As you can see in my final images, I also put my 'Garlic Tortoastas' on the side, which were delicious!  The pasta, by itself, was 404 calories/serving (it made 4 servings), and with the Tortoastas only went up to 450 calories/serving!  Woo!  It was also only $2.13/serving!!  Yay!!
Here's the recipe:

1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oregano
2 cups vegetable broth
24 ounces tomato sauce
12 ounces spaghetti (any kind you want!)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese (I used 1/3 cup split between the four of us)

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment