Sunday, July 21, 2013

Herb-Crusted Chicken and Parsley Orzo

One more for today and that's all you get!!  So this meal was something I was able to make with what I had lying around the house and it was SOOOOOOO delicious!  My hubs said the chicken was cooked perfectly!  Yay!!
So I originally got this recipe from the Cooking Light website.  So first thing's first: I cooked my orzo in boiling water for about 10 minutes.  Make sure not to put salt in the water as it comes later!!  While it was cooking, I took 4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts and sprinkled them with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and the recipe called for 4 teaspoons of dried fine herbs.  I wasn't entirely too sure what that was, so I just used dried basil and it worked great!
In a nonstick skillet I put 4 teaspoons of butter and allowed it to melt over medium heat.  Then I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil and swirled to coat.  Then I added the chicken breasts and allowed them to start cooking.
While the chickens were cooking, I removed the orzo and drained it (good luck if you've never cooked and tried to drain orzo, it's a pain in the katookus!  I had to have my hubs find the smallest strainer we had so we didn't lose anymore pasta!), and then added 2 teaspoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/5 teaspoon black pepper and 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley that I had previously chopped.  I put that back onto the stove on low to keep it warm until my chicken was done cooking.  Make sure to cook it for about 5 minutes on the first side and about 7 on the other.
Once that was done I served the orzo onto the plates and topped it with the chicken and voila!!  Dinner was served!  The chicken was so moist and juicy and the flavors were delicious!  The meal made 4 servings at $1.39/serving and was only 342 calories per serving!  Whoa!
Here's the recipe:

3/4 cup cooked orzo
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
4 teaspoons dried fine herbs
1 tablespoon olive oil

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment