Sunday, July 21, 2013

Slow Cooker Hoisin Pork Wraps


Hello friends and welcome back!!  I would welcome myself back, but that seems weird and redundant.  :)  Anyway, this meal I originally got from the Pillsbury site and it was soooooo flavorful!  It was a slow cooker meal (obviously) and I've posted a photo above of the cutest gift my hubs just got me.  He knows how much I love the color green and when we decided to paint our house he made sure to make my kitchen green for me!  Ever since then he has made it his mission to try and find items to match for my kitchen (he really is a romantic guy and I'm so very lucky).  Just last night we had stopped at the store to grab some dessert and he saw a small slow cooker that, as you can see, matches my kitchen identically!  I told him it was unnecessary to buy it as we already had one, but he insisted!  Cutest thing ever, so now I have two slow cookers, which should definitely come in handy when we have company!
So back to this meal!  I made this last week and I always tend to be a bit weary when my savory meals involve fruit, but this one pleasantly  surprised myself and all of my boys.
So first thing's first: I placed a 2 pound boneless pork roast into my slow cooker (this was my larger one, not pictured!) and then, in a separate bowl, I mixed 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce (one of my hubs' favorite sauces!), 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root, , 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (one of MY favorite spices), and 2 cloves of garlic that I had previously minced.  You can certainly used the jarred ones, however, I tend to like to use fresh herbs, but whatever is easiest for you!  Once that was mixed I spread it over the pork and let it cook on low for about 8 hours.
Now on the recipe it stated 15 minutes before the meat was cooked to heat the tortillas in foil in the oven.  Upon inspecting my drawer I realized I had no foil!  I know, GASP right?  Anyway, so I just heat it up in the microwave like I normally do and it worked fine.  Perhaps next time I'll try that and see if it changes the flavor or anything!  :)
I took the pork out of the crock pot during the time the tortillas were heating and shred it with two forks.  Before putting the meat back into the crock pot I placed another tablespoon of hoisin sauce into the sauce and then mixed everything together.
After that I put 1/2 cup of the meat mixture into each tortilla and then topped them with lettuce, green onions and mandarin orange segments and rolled them up (my my super awesome burrito rolling skills).  I served it with a side of rice and voila!!  Dinner was served!  This meal was surprisingly filling as I expected all of us to go back for seconds but we were all stuffed!  It was 395 calories per wrap and, even with the rice, was only a total of 453 calories!  Whoop!!  It was also only $0.68/serving and it made 10 servings!!  WHAT?!?!  I know!!
Here's the recipe!!

1 - 2 pound boneless pork roast
5 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
1 teaspoon of Chinese five-spice powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 - 10 inch flour tortillas
3 cups shredded lettuce
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 - 15 ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment