Thursday, March 22, 2012

Taco Salad

Hello my friends!  Here's another meal I made last week!  It was originally called Crowd-Pleasing Taco Salad from the Taste of Home website due to the volume being served.  However, when I made this it was just the hubby and I so I had to severely cut down the sizes, so this will be my version!
First thing's first, in a large saucepan I started to cook 1/2 pound of ground turkey until it was no longer pink.  Then I added 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/2 teaspoon (each) of dried oregano and chili powder,  1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.  I heat that to a boil, reduced the heat and then let it simmer for 10 minutes.
While that was simmering, I diced 1/4 of a head of iceberg lettuce, 1 tomato and sliced 1/4 cup of olives.
In a small bowl I mixed 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1/4 cup taco sauce.  Then I added the lettuce, tomatoes, olives, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and the mayo/taco sauce mixture, as well as the cooked ground turkey.
I mixed it together and served it with corn chips on top, but I forgot to take pictures of that!  So just imagine.  :)
The meal was 245 calories and only $1.02/serving!!!!  I'm doing the serving count based on the original recipe, which called for 14 servings.  Whoa!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced olives, drained
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 package (10 1/2 ounces) corn chips

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment