Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Garlic Shepherd's Pie

Okay people, here's another one I did from St. Patrick's Day.  The eyes were still pretty bad at this point, so please forgive the photos!  They make me sad, too, I know.  :(
So, this recipe was originally from Betty Crocker, but I changed it just a bit to suit my tastes!
Minus the bag of frozen beans, peas, corn and carrots, the above picture is everything I used to make this meal.  The original recipe called for a mashed potato mix, but I couldn't bring myself to use it.  Especially not on St. Patrick's Day!  So first I cut up a small bag of red potatoes into quarters (I believe the bag was no more than 2-3 pounds).  Then I added that to a pot of water and let it boil while I started to prep everything else.
While the potatoes were cooking, I chopped 1 medium onion and sliced 1 cup of mushrooms.
I preheat my oven to 350 degrees and then cooked 1 pound of ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat with the chopped onion.  Once it was cooked, I drained it and then added 2 cups of the frozen beans, peas, corn and carrots, as well as the sliced mushrooms, 2 cups of diced tomatoes, 1 jar of chicken gravy, 2 tablespoons of chili sauce (I used Sriracha), 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
I heat the mixture to boiling and then reduced the heat to let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  While that was simmering I drained the potatoes (they cooked for about 10-12 minutes, but just make sure to check yours every couple of minutes to feel the tenderness).  I added the potatoes to my mixer with 2 cloves of fresh garlic that I chopped, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and 1/4 cup of milk (I used soy milk for my family, and you can change the amounts you add it depending on how much mashed potatoes you're making).  I beat the mixture in my mixer until mostly smooth.
I like to leave the skin on my potatoes, but you can peel them if that's your preference.  Once the mixture had simmered, I added it to a glass baking dish, dropping spoonfuls of the mashed potatoes around the edge of the mixture and added 2 teaspoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the top.  Then I baked it in the oven for about 27 minutes and voila!  Dinner was served!  Happy St. Patrick's Day indeed!
So since the meal had 6 servings (we had leftovers!), it was only $2.27/serving!  Whoa!  And only 350 calories!!!  Yay!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups frozen bean, peas, corn and carrots
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cup diced tomatoes, undrained
1 jar (12 ounces) chicken gravy
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2-3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (each)
1/4 cup milk

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment