Sunday, April 29, 2012

Taco Salad Made Over

Hello friends!  Another installment of Mama Feta's Meals is headed right for ya!  I have a few other meals to add, as well, but I kind of started late today, so I think you'll just get the one for now!
First thing's first: I heat my over to 425 degrees and then crumpled 4 sheets of foil to create 4 3 inch balls.  Yep, I made some foil balls.  Sounds weird?  Just you wait and see!  I placed these on a baking sheet and covered each ball with an 8 inch tortilla, which I sprayed with cooking spray.  You're feeling what I'm putting down now, aren't you?  :)
I put that in my preheated oven and let it bake for about 7 minutes.  While that was baking I chopped some lettuce and 1 large tomato.  The original recipe called for torn mixed salad greens but I really enjoy romaine lettuce, so that's what I used!  Once that was chopped, I set it aside and started to cook 3/4 pounds of ground turkey (the original recipe called for ground beef, but if you're reading this along with me from day one, you know my love for all things ground turkey!).  I also added 1 tablespoon of chili powder to the ground turkey.  Oh yeah!
When the tortillas were done, they made some really cute shells and I took them out of the oven to cool and continued on with my ground turkey.  I added 1 can of drained and rinsed kidney beans and 1/2 cup of salsa (we like medium, but use what you like!).
I let that mixture simmer for about 5 minutes and, while that was heating through, added the lettuce and tomatoes.  When the meat was done, I split them evenly among the shells, topped the meat mixture evenly with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and topped with some light ranch (with mine I skipped the ranch and added fat free sour cream.  Yum!).  Of course, I also added the ever popular TAPATIO!  Seriously, I feel like I have an unhealthy obsession with that stuff.
Then voila!  Dinner was served!  This meal was so delicious and the shells were so easy and made the kids go nuts for them.  I will definitely have to try this one again, maybe with different ingredients.  Hmmm.  It was 410 calories (although certainly less with the ground turkey, but I have no idea how much less) and a whopping $2.40/serving!  I know!
Here's the recipe!

4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
3/4 pounds ground turkey
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 can drained, rinsed kidney beans
1/2 cup salsa
4 cups lettuce (or torn mixed greens if you prefer)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons light ranch dressing

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment