Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Garlic Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

All right, my friends, make sure you have some time for this meal, because it took me a good two hours to make!  Whew!
First thing's first: The original recipe called for 3 heads of garlic, however, I actually only used one and it worked sufficiently for us.  I took the one head of garlic, separated them, peeled them, and then minced four of them.  I also set six aside to add to the inside of the chicken.  I added the minced garlic to a small bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon rosemary (the original recipe called for fresh rosemary, but I didn't have any on hand so I used dried rosemary and it worked fine), 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
I put the six garlic cloves into the cavity of the chicken and spread the rub onto the outside of the chicken.  I put that into a preheated 375 degree oven and started to cook it for 1 and a half hours.
While that was cooking, I added the remaining garlic cloves to a baking dish, as well as a sweet onion, which I cut into wedges, and 3 sweet potatoes, which I peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces.  Then I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and tossed to coat.
At the hour mark of the chicken, I threw the vegetable mixture into the oven, as well, stirring the mixture every 15 minutes.  Once the chicken and vegetables were done, I took the chicken out and covered it with foil to let it sit for 15 minutes before I carved it.
I carved the chicken and served the pieces with the potato mixture and voila!  Dinner was served!
This meal was so flavorful and delicious, and only 393 calories!  It was also only $2.26/serving! Seriously!  Listen, I shop at Winco and the prices there are unbelievable, and I'm able to make delicious meals like this because of them!!
Here's the recipe!

3 heads garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil 
1 1/2 tablespoons snipped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3 - 3 1/2 pound whole roasting chicken
3 medium sweet potatoes (1 1/2 - 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment