Saturday, October 12, 2013

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Garlic Chicken

Mooooooooooorrrrrrreeeeee slow cooker goodness!!!  Seriously, I even made some slow cooker applesauce but I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!  I know, it's ridiculous.  I'll make it again and show you all the awesomeness!!!
Anyhoo, back to this action!!!!  So this one needed no prior night prep.  All I had to do was season some chicken breasts (cut into fillets) with salt and pepper and put that in my slow cooker.  Then I whisked together some brown sugar, white vinegar, diet lemon soda (crazy, right?), soy sauce and 6 minced garlic cloves and poured it over the chicken.  I put my slow cooker on low and let it cook for 6 hours again.  I made this meal this week, but it was another of my hubs' day off and he was able to turn it onto warm once it cooked for those six hours (it didn't seem to need more than that).When I got home, I removed the chicken and shredded it and then set it aside.
I put the leftover juices into a small saucepan and set it over medium high heat.  While that started to warm, in a small bowl I added two tablespoons cold water and two tablespoons cornstarch and mixed well, adding it to the juices and allowing it to heat until the sauce started to thicken, about 3 minutes.  Then I removed it and let it sit for about another 2 minutes to thicken further.
This meal was also very low in calories (only 241 calories/serving and it made 6 servings!) that I was also able to serve this over rice.  So I placed the shredded chicken over the rice, poured the sauce over the top and VOILA!!!!  Dinner was served!!!
The sweet and sour flavor was amazing and such an easy meal to make!  It was also only $2.72/serving!  Yay!
Here's the recipe:

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup diet lemon lime soda
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
 Salt and pepper to taste

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment