Saturday, October 12, 2013

Slow Cooker Pork Chili

'Tis the season for slow cooker recipes!!!!!  I love chili and, unbeknownst to me until I made this, I found out the first week in October is national chili week!  So awesome!  See, I plan food holidays without even meaning to!
So I did actually make this last week, but it has been crazy!  My new job has kept me RIDICULOUSLY busy, but I am in LOVE with it.  Hopefully you, my readers, won't mind the contact lessening, but I will work on it whenever I can, I promise!
So first thing's first: I actually prepped a lot of this the night before because I knew there would be no way I could get this started and into the slow cooker before taking our kids to school and heading to work.  If you've got the time, however, feel free to do it all in the morning!  The night before I cut some pork tenderloin into cubes, as well as finely chopped an onion and minced some fresh garlic.
The next morning, I sprayed my slow cooker with cooking spray, putting the onions on the bottom, topping it with the pork and garlic, and then adding a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, two cans of diced green chiles, some lime juice, oregano, chili powder, cumin and some salt and pepper to taste.  Then I set that on low and let it cook for 6 hours.  The day I made this was my hubs' day off, so he was able to turn the slow cooker on 'low' at the 6 hour mark (it was definitely cooked by then) and when I got home it was...VOILA!!  Ready to be served!!!!  Seriously, I know, that was it!
This meal was so low calorie (only 199 calories per serving, and it made 8 servings!) that my hubs decided to make some homemade tortilla chips to dip into it.  DEEEEEElicious!  It was also only $1.84/serving!  Seriously!
Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into cubes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1-28oz can diced tomatoes
2-4oz can diced green chiles
1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Juice from 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment