Monday, October 21, 2013

Hubs Can Cook Edition: Healthified Italian Sausage Soup

The amount of AWESOME I've been dealt lately with my boys all cooking for me is ENORMOUS!  I also feel you all should share in this families ability to cook, so I'm sharing it all!!  :)
So the weather has been getting cooler, of course, and I thought this recipe sounded warm and YUMMY and my hubs made sure it was!!  Once all the prep work was done it seemed to go by pretty quickly, so give this meal a try!
Here's the recipe:

2 slices bacon
1/2 pound lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups water
3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 cups chopped fresh kale
1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fat free half and half

So hubs cooked the bacon, drained it on a paper towel, crumbled it and set it aside.  Then he cooked the sausage, drained THAT and set it aside.  In that same saucepan, my hubs then added the potatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, water and broth and heat that to boiling!  Then he reduced it to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  When that was done, he added the bacon, sausage, kale and beans and allowed it to cook for another 10-15 minutes, until heated and VOILA!!  Dinner was served!!!!
This meal was so warm and filling and there was SO MANY LEFTOVERS!!!  Lunch for tomorrow!!
Best part?  It was only 190 calories/serving and it made at least 10 servings (I'm not really sure how much it made!).  It was also only $2.89/serving!  Yay!!!!!
Happy cooking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment