Sunday, April 28, 2013

Asian Marinated Flank Steak with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes

So I realized that I just shoot myself in the foot when I say that I'm going to post more often.  ANOTHER birthday passed, this time MINE, and my mother's!, so as usual, my time became very limited!  I know, excuses, excuses, but I had every intention of posting stuff.  Either way!  I'm here now and will do my very best to post more often.  :)
So this meal I made a few weeks ago now, but it was so yummy!  Especially the wasabi mashed potatoes, mmmmmm.
I originally got this recipe from Fitness Magazine.  So first thing's first: One of the ingredients in this recipe is toasted sesame oil.  Now I realized far too late that I didn't have any sesame oil, so I had actually found a recipe where I toasted some sesames in oil and made my OWN sesame oil!  :)  So then I took 1 1/4 pounds of flank steak, 1/4 soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the toasted sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of Sriracha and honey, as well as 1 teaspoon of minced fresh ginger in a bowl, covered it with foil and let it marinade for 15 minutes.  While that was marinating, I boiled some water that I had salted and added 3 pounds of russet potatoes that I had previously peeled and cubed.  I allowed it to cook until it was tender, about 10 minutes or so, drained and then added it to the bowl of my mixer.  Then I added 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk and Greek yogurt, along with 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1 teaspoon each of salt and wasabi paste (yum!).  I let the mixer blend everything together.
While that was blending, I heat a large pan over medium heat and added 2 tablespoons of the marinade, as well as the steak, to the pan.  I allowed it to sear for 3-5 minutes on each side, and then moved it to a cutting board to let it rest.
I sliced the steak into 1/4 inch pieces and served it with the mashed potatoes and voila!!  Dinner was served!!  Surprisingly, even though wasabi is usually very hot, it really only lent a small amount of heat to the potatoes and mostly lent it the flavor.  It was delicious!  It was 408 calories for the entire meal (steak AND potatoes) and only $3.48/serving (it made a total of 4 servings)!
Here's the recipe!!!

1 1/4 pounds flank steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
1 teaspoon salt

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment