Monday, April 15, 2013

Honey Chicken Breast with Shoyu

Hello fellow home cookers and welcome to another addition of Mama Feta's Meals!  Wahoo!  This meal I made a few weeks ago and it was super yummy.  Anything with shoyu, garlic and ginger and I'm sold!
For those of you that don't know, shoyu is actually the Japanese word for soy sauce, however, being from Hawaii and growing up around all kinds of Asian foods, we ALWAYS used the word shoyu instead of soy sauce.  It's actually always a bit of difficulty to change the word so people understand what I'm saying sometimes!  Haha, but this meal was actually listed as shoyu, which made me happy and immediately made me want to make it!
Sooooo, this meal is an overnighte marinade type deal, so be prepared to start this the day before for the best flavor!!!
First thing's first: Get a large baggie (or if you're like me and HATE to waste baggies unnecessarily, you can use a bowl!) and mix 1/3 cup lower sodium SHOYU :) (as usual, my favorite brand is Aloha, due to it already having a lower salt taste), 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4cup honey, 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root (I usually use my cheese grater for this, seems to work fine.  Also, if you're unsure where to find fresh ginger root, it should just be in the produce section.  At my local Winco, they have it located in the same area as all of the peppers and fresh herbs) and 4 cloves of garlic, minced.  If mincing your own garlic makes you nervous, I don't see any problem with using the garlic in the bottle that's already minced, and it should tell you how much you need to equal a clove on the bottle.  Just don't be like my husband and mistake the word 'clove' for an entire bulb!  He's so cute, I sent him to the store once to get cloves of garlic (I should have just said 1 bulb, but I listed 10 cloves) and he literally came home with 10 bulbs of garlic.  Needless to say, we had garlic to last us for months, but it all got used, so that was good!  :)
Soooo, off of my garlic tangent, mix all of the above ingredients in a bag or bowl, and then add 4 chicken breasts to the mix.  The original recipe stated to leave the bones in, but my family isn't one to play well with chicken bones (please don't even get me started on the story of my sister and chicken bones!) so I just used boneless, skinless chicken breasts and they turned out great!
As I mentioned above, this is an overnight deal, so make sure to seal that baggie tightly, or cover your bowl with some foil, and toss it (okay, don't seriously toss it, especially if it's in the bowl, that'll just make a giant mess and ruin all of the work you just did!) into the fridge until the next day when you're ready to cook it!
When you're ready to cook, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and, while your oven is getting all kinds of toasty for you, cover a cookie sheet with foil and places your chickens onto it.  Let it cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes, basically until the chicken is fully cooked.  I usually make slices into the thickest parts of the chicken to check on it.  While it's cooking, though, make sure to check on it occasionally and baste it with the remaining marinade, so it stays juicy and the flavors get deliciously BAKED into the chicken.  Yum and voila!!  Dinner is served!  As you can see by the image, I wanted to put some sweet mashed potatoes on the side (I am entirely obsessed with sweet potatoes, it's ridiculous).  I literally did nothing to the sweet potatoes but peel them, boil them and mash them.  I just love sweet potatoes plain, I feel their natural flavor is SOOOOO yummy.  So anyway, just the chicken itself was 363 calories/chicken and the sweet potatoes were 147, making the dinner a grand total of (I know, I know!) 510 calories.  Listen, don't be mad, it's only 10 calories over my usual.  Okay, I'm mad at myself, but sometimes a little 'splurge' doesn't hurt, right?  Besides, these were good calories over, and who's to say my 500 calorie limit is a good number, anyway?  It's just where I like to be haha.  HOWEVER, it was only $0.96/serving, so I guess that makes up for the overage, right?  Right?!?  :)
Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if anyone has any requests for recipes they'd like me to do on here, or ideas, or if you have a family recipe you'd like me to share with your story, hey, I'm all for it!  Just hit me up!
Here's the recipe!!

1/3 cup lower sodium shoyu (soy sauce!)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
4 cloves garlic, minced

Happy cooking my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment