Monday, April 15, 2013

Spinach and Linguine Soup with Fried Egg and Garlic Tor-toast-a

Okay, so I have quite a few recipes that I did before this one, but I just LOVED this recipe, and so did all three of my little, and big :), guys and I've been so excited to do, so I'm just going to skip ahead.  Deal with it!  :)
This meal was ridiculously easy, but still managed to be ridiculously good.  I love the imagery of any meal where they put an egg on top, so I was all for trying this recipe!
So first thing's first: Just a heads up that the original recipe actually called for vermicelli but, for some reason, every store I went to didn't seem to have any.  I'm not sure if vermicelli is hard to come by or what, so I just used what I had on hand, which was linguine.  Still tasted good so I'm not complaining!  When I do find vermicelli I will definitely make it again, it was too easy!  Anyway, the first thing I did was thinly slice half of a yellow onion and mince 1 clove of garlic (like I mentioned in my last blog, if you're uncomfortable mincing your own garlic, you can definitely use the bottled kind, it works just as well.  I just tend to like my herbs I use to be fresh!).  I also took 1 bunch of spinach and stemmed it, setting it aside for later.  I then heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and added 1 tablespoon of olive oil to it to warm, as well.  I added the garlic and onion and sauteed it for about 5 minutes, adding 5 cups of chicken broth to the saucepan and bringing it to a boil.  Once it was boiling, I added 1/2 pound of linguine (vermicelli if you'd like to use the original recipe), breaking it beforehand into two inch pieces, and let that boil for another 7 minutes or so.  Then I added the spinach and allowed it to boil until it was wilted, about another 2 minutes, and then set it to low so I could cook the eggs (woo!!).
The original recipe stated to butter the pan prior to cooking the eggs, but I like to minimize the calories (obviously) so I just used cooking spray each time.  Make sure to keep the yolk in tact when you crack the egg and allow it to cook, yolk side up, for about 5 minutes for each egg, so that the bottom has set but the yolk is still running.
I spooned the soup into individual bowls and topped each with an egg and VOILA, yummy dinner was served!  As you can see, we also topped our with Sriracha sauce (our youngest, especially, is in love with Sriracha sauce) and upon cutting into the egg on the first bite, the yolk just spills into the soup and...sheesh, just heaven, honestly.  It was so good.
I also added my own little concoction on the side, if you can see on the second image.  The hubs and I have created our own little name for this and have been using it quite frequently on meals that need a side like bread (we tend to not have bread on hand in the house and we always love garlic bread/toast/etc.).  Meet the Garlic Tor-toast-a!  It's really simple, just spray each side of a corn tortilla with cooking spray, sprinkle with some garlic salt on each side and bake in your oven (350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, making sure to turn it occasionally) and you've got your very own Garlic Tor-toast-a!!  We've used this so many times recently, whether it be just as a side to pasta, or have even added it to wraps/burritos, etc. we've made as a crunchy additional to the meal.  SOOOOOOO good, please try it and let me know what you think!!
So the best part of this meal was that it was only 178.5 calories/serving and, with the Garlic Tor-toast-a, only added another 55 calories, so the meal in its entirety was only 233.5 calories!  Whoa!  It was also only $1.21/serving, and that's WITH the Garlic Tor-toast-a!  Yay!!
 Here's the recipe!!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound linguine, broken into two inch pieces
1 bunch spinach, stemmed
 4 eggs
Sriracha sauce for serving
4 corn tortillas (if you'd like to do the Garlic Tor-toast-a option!)
Cooking spray

Happy cooking all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment