Thursday, April 4, 2013

Steak and Vegetable Braciole


So THIS meal was super fun!  This was a slow cooker meal which was fun to put together AND fun to eat!  :)  I got this meal from the Better Homes and Gardens website and it was YUMMY.
So first thing's first: the night before (just to make my prep easier but you can do it whenever!) I shredded 1/2 cup of carrots, chopped 1/3 cup of zucchini and green  bell peppers, as well as sliced 1/4 cup of green onions.
In the morning I combined the chopped veggies in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of snipped parsley and 1 clove of minced garlic, along with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
Then I spooned 1/4 cup of the vegetable mixture onto 6 different round steaks and rolled them up, securing them with toothpicks and putting them into my slow cooker.  Then I poured two cups of pasta sauce over the meat, covered it and set the slow cooker on low to allow it to cook for 8-10 hours (I believe with my work schedule it ended up being the full 10 hours).
When I got home I cooked some pasta to put below it and removed the tooth picks from the rolls.  I topped the cooked pasta with the rolls and sauce and VOILA!!  Dinner was served!!  The recipe made six servings and the steaks by themselves were only 261 calories.  With the pasta that added another 200 calories per serving but STILL managed to stay within my 500 calorie limit at 461 calories.  Woo!!  It was also only $1.54/serving, and that includes the pasta! I know!
Here's the recipe!!

1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup chopped zucchini
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 tenderized beef round steaks (about 2 pounds total)
2 cups pasta sauce
Hot cooked pasta (optional)

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment