Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes

Yes it's true, I am harassing you all yet again.  Like I mentioned, I got pretty backed up so BE PREPARED FOR FOOD AWESOMENESS.  Or something like that.  :)
This meal was...well...delicious.  The flavors were crazy good, I can't even describe them correctly.  PLEASE try this one if you don't try any others.  It was amazingly good, I promise!
I originally got the meal from the Eating Well website, but it was only for two people so all of the amounts I put on here are for four (obviously!).
So first thing's first: I heat a skillet over high heat and added four cored plum tomatoes to it, allowing it to cook and turning it occasionally until it was charred, about 8 minutes.  I transferred it to a plate, cut the tomatoes crosswise and squeezed the seeds out.  I chopped the remaining pulp and skin and set it aside.
I cut some chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and seasoned them with salt and pepper.  Then I added 2 teaspoons of canola oil in the same skillet and heat it over high heat and cooked the chicken until it was no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes, and transferred that to a plate as well.
I reduced the heat to medium, then, and added another 2 teaspoons of canola oil to the pan and added some onions, cooking them until they softened, about 2 minutes,  and added garlic and jalapeno and cooked for another 30 seconds.  Then I added lime juice, the chicken and the tomatoes and cooked for another 1-2 minutes, until the mixture was heated through.  Then I added cilantro and scallions and split the mixture among 12 corn tortillas (make sure to get a towel damp, wrap the tortillas in them and heat them for at least 30 seconds prior to putting the mixture in them.  It helps to keep the tortillas from breaking) and VOILA!!  Dinner was served!  As you can see, I also served dinner with black beans as it was such a low calorie meal.  For two tacos it was 297 calories and only $1.95/serving!!  WOW!
Here's the recipe!

4 plum tomatoes, cored
16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
1 cup finely chopped white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
4 teaspoons lime juice
4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 scallions, chopped
12 small corn tortillas, heated

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment