Saturday, May 18, 2013

Slow Cooker Polynesian Pork Ribs

Okay, so, surprisingly (although maybe not!) being from Hawaii I am not particularly fond of pineapple.  I blame my mother entirely for that, as that was all she said she ate when she was pregnant with me!  :)
HOWEVER, I definitely try not to punish my family by not feeding them the things I don't like.  So on this meal, I sucked up my issues with pineapple and went ahead with it.  It wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted, but again, I don't like pineapple.  My family said that it was delicious, so you try for yourself and let me know!
This meal I got originally from Betty Crocker and anything that allows me to dump things in a bowl and let it cook on its own is fine by me!
So first thing's first: The original recipe stated to put a slow cooker liner in the slow cooker bowl, but I just used some cooking spray, which worked fine.  Then I finely chopped 1 clove of garlic (or you can use the jarred kind if that suits your needs.  I like to use the fresh stuff!), sliced 1 small onion and added those to the slow cooker, along with 2 pounds of boneless pork ribs.  I then took half of an 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple and spooned it over the ribs, reserving the remaining for later.  Then I set that on low and let it cook for about 9 hours.
When I got home from work, I drained the juices from the slow cooker.  In a separate bowl I mixed 3/4 cup of ketchup, 3 tablespoons of packed brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of hoisin sauce, 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger root and the remaining pineapple, pouring it over the cooked ribs.  Then I set that to high and allowed it to cook for another 25 minutes.
While that was heating, I cooked some rice and when it was done, voila!  Dinner was served!
To be honest, the meal was pretty good but I've always been weird about the sweetness that the pineapple brings to savory foods.  I like my savory to stay savory, but, luckily for me, the meal didn't taste that much like pineapple it was just sweet.  The meal was only 390 calories per serving (it was a six serving meal yay!) and $1.85/serving!  Woo!!
Here's the recipe!!!

Ribs:
2 pounds boneless pork loin ribs
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, sliced
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained

Sauce:
3/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger root
Cooked rice

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment