Saturday, May 18, 2013

Happy Easter: Herb and Garlic Crusted Beef Rib Roast with Slow Cooker Brown-Sugared Baby Carrots

Okay, so I'm aware I'm WAYYYYYYYYY behind on my Easter post, but bare with me.  It has been a busy month and a half!!!
This meal was delicious and, actually, really easy because I didn't have to pay to much attention to it in order to get an amazing meal!
So I started with my side first, as that was going to take longer.  The recipe for this I originally got from Pillsbury and it was delicious!  I remember when I was younger, my sister used to always make this carrot dish as a side that was sweet and soooo yummy, but she would never tell me her secret!  When I saw this I knew I had to make it in hopes that it would match her dish!
So first thing's first: I sprayed my slow cooker with some cooking spray and placed a 16 ounce bag of baby carrots into it (the original recipe called for 32 ounces but there were only four of us, I certainly didn't need THAT much!).  Then I sprinkle the carrots with 1/4 teaspoon salt (all of these measurements are half of what the actual recipe states but, not to worry, I will put the full amount below!), 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of butter.  Then I covered that, set it on high and let it cook while I prepped and cooked the roast.  Make sure after it cooks for about two hours to stir it!
So for the roast, the original recipe I got was from Betty Crocker again (boy do I love her or what?) and it was super easy to make!
First thing's first: I preheat my oven to 350 degrees and lined my roasting pan with foil.  I put the roast in the pan with the fat side up and then, in a separate bowl, mixed 2 teaspoons (each) of dried basil and thyme, 1 teaspoon (each) of Kosher salt and garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.  I rubbed it into the roast and then put it in the preheated oven for about 2 hours.  Make sure to check the temperature for your roast as it needs to read 135 degrees to be done and oven temperatures vary, so the time could be more or less depending on your oven!
I let that rest with foil over it for about 15 minutes until the temperature read 145 degrees (this was for medium rare.  If you'd like medium, it needs to stay covered until it reads 150 degrees).
Once the meat was rested and the carrots were cooked, I sliced the beef and spooned the carrots onto the plate, adding the juices and 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley and voila!!  Dinner was served!  This meal was soooo yummy, seriously.  The roast was 340 calories/serving (it made 8 servings so there was extras yay!) and the carrots were only 100 calories/serving (this one made 5 servings as I had cut it in half like I mentioned earlier) so total it was only 440 calories!  Woo!  It was also only $2.16/serving and that's with BOTH the roast and the carrots!
Here's the recipe!!

Roast:
1 beef rib roast (4-6 pounds)
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Carrots:
1 bag (32 ounces) baby carrots
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley

Happy cooking everyone and happy belated Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment