Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chinese Fried Noodles

Oh my gosh, I love this meal soooooooooo much!  I've made this at least a dozen times since I originally made it; for lunches, for quick dinners when we've had events, etc.; it's THAT good.  The best part?  It's so simple, and yet just another way to showcase how versatile ramen noodles are!  :)  Sometimes I add/substitute other veggies or things in the noodles to suit my tastes; it can easily be changed up!
So I originally got this recipe from allrecipes.com and it's sooooo good.  My oldest son doesn't even enjoy scrambled eggs that much but really loves it in this meal!
First thing's first: the recipe called to cook the noodles first, but I actually like to prep my veggies and everything else, as I like the noodles to be warm when I go to cook them.  I thinly sliced 4 green onions, peeled and grated 1 small carrot, and minced 1/4 cup of red bell pepper.
Now on the recipe it stated to use vegetable oil for this part, but I wanted to lessen the amount of calories so I only used cooking spray.  Each vegetable needed to be cooked separately, so I sprayed a skillet with cooking spray and cooked the green onions, the carrots, the red bell pepper, as well as 1/2 cup of frozen green peas.  They each needed to be cooked for about 2-3 minutes.  Once those were all cooked, I set them aside in a bowl and started to cook the eggs.  I separately beat three eggs in a bowl, sprayed additional cooking spray in the skillet and scrambled the beaten eggs.  After that was cooked, I also set that aside and started on the next item.
From here, I boiled 2 packets of Oriental flavored ramen noodles (make sure to set aside the sauce packets) and, once they were thoroughly cooked, I drained the noodles.  In a skillet, I added 2 tablespoons of sesame oil along with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and cooked the noodles over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, stirring them constantly during that time.  Once that was cooked for that time, I added the ramen season packets, along with soy sauce (the recipe wasn't specific on the amount of soy sauce, so you can just eyeball the noodles and use whatever amount suits you), and tossed it to coat the noodles.  Then I added all of the cooked veggies and scrambled eggs and allowed it to cook for another 3-5 minutes and voila!!  Dinner was served!
As I said, I've made this over a dozen times already.  It's so quick and the items so interchangeable that there are so many options to choose from!  I listed the recipe with the amounts as stated but, for my family, I actually doubled the recipe.  It stated that it was a 6 serving meal but just my husband and myself could kill one bag!  So the meal originally listed the calories as 161/serving, however, taking one bag each for all four of us changed the calories to 483 calories/serving.  My guess is that the calories were also lessened due to using cooking spray instead of the oil for each veggie, but I'm not quite sure what that would lessen it to!  :/  It was also only $0.36/serving (this is based on the 6 serving total.  If you eat like we do, then making it 2 servings would make it about $1.15/serving).  I know, right?
Here's the recipe!

2 (3 ounce) packages Oriental flavored ramen noodles
3 eggs, beaten
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable
soy sauce

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment