Saturday, March 23, 2013

Turkey Sausage and Spinach Pasta

Oh yeah, another one!  Welcome back if you're keeping up!
So I originally got this recipe from the Delish website but changed it up just a bit, as I usually do!!
First thing's first: I cooked 12 ounces of shell pasta in boiling water for about 10 minutes, until it was done.  While that was cooking, I cut the casings off of 8 ounces of hot Italian turkey sausage links and cooked it in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up and cooking it for 5 minutes, until it was cooked through.  Once that was cooked, I stirred in 3 cloves of garlic that I had previously chopped, 8 cups of fresh spinach and 2 cups of cherry tomatoes that I had also previously halved.
I cooked that until the spinach wilted, about 3 minutes.  Once that was done, I removed it from heat and covered it to keep warm.
Once the pasta was done cooking, I measured out 1/2 cup of the liquid before draining it and set it aside.  I put 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese into a bowl with 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and then whisked the water and 1 tablespoon olive oil into the cheese mixture, adding the pasta once it was mixed.
I served the sausage mixture over the pasta and voila!!  Dinner was served!
The hot sausage made the meal a bit spicy but it was really yummy and filling.  The meal had 4 servings with only 352 calories per serving and only $1.75/serving!
Here's the recipe!!

12 ounces whole wheat shell pasta
8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, casing removed
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups baby spinach
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment