Friday, March 8, 2013

Grilled Chicken Tenders with Cilantro Pesto




Hello my fine-feathered cooking friends (fiends?  Same thing haha)!!  I know it has been just a little bit  longer than usual but I was working on some secret recipe items...of COURSE I forgot to take photos of these secret recipe items so I will have to make these meals again and I will present them then!  You will LOVE it, I promise!!
This meal, however, I made the other day and originally got it from eatingwell.com and it was SOOOOOOO good!!  I love any kind of pesto and was super excited to be making some myself.  Plus, I got to bust out my food processor, which is always tons of fun for me.  :)
So first thing's first: my hubs was off of work this day and actually helped me with this one!!!  I'm so lucky!!  He cut some chicken breasts I had into chicken tenders.  Once he was finished with that, he put 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (my usual Aloha Shoyu brand that I LURRRVE so much), 1 tablespoon canola oil and 1 teaspoon chili powder into a bowl (reserving 2 tablespoons of that marinade) and dumped all of that pre-cut chicken tender goodness into it to marinade for 20 minutes in the fridge.
Here's where I came in!  :)
While I put two bunches of cilantro  into the food processor, I also added 2 chopped green onions (the recipe originally called for scallions but I didn't have any, and green onions are very close in a pinch), sesame seeds (the original recipe called for toasted sesame seeds but I got home late and didn't have time to toast them, they worked great plain!) and the reserved marinade and let it all run until it was smooth (YAY PESTO!).
Then my hubs helped me grill the chicken tenders (we used our handy grill rack because it's still a bit too cold to use the outdoor grill just yet!), coating it with cooking spray prior to doing so and cooking it on a medium-high heat for about 2 minutes per side, until they were cooked.  Once that was done, I put the pesto on the side and voila!!  Dinner was served!  The flavor of the chicken on this one was so nicely offset by the cool and crispness of the pesto, it was a delicious meal!  The best part?!?  There were four servings in this meal for only 152 calories/serving!  Can you believe it?  It was also only $1.46/serving!  Whaaaaaat!  I know!  The meal was so light and low in calorie I decided to treat everyone and we even had some egg rolls on the side and STILL managed to stay under the 500 calorie limit.  Yay!
Here's the recipe!

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound chicken tenders
2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves (1-2 bunches)
2 scallions, sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Happy cooking everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment