Saturday, March 9, 2013

Taco Pork Chops

One more, you say?!?  Two in one day AGAIN, you say?!?!  Yes, yes indeed, I say!  :)
This meal I made the other day was really tasty and everyone kept making the 'mmmmm' noises while eating it haha!
This recipe I pulled from Pinterest (of course), which had directed me to Taste of Home (one of my go to sites, anyway!).
So first thing's first: I preheat a large skillet over medium heat and added 1 tablespoon of canola oil.  Then I cooked 4 pork loin chops about 3 minutes per side until they were somewhat lightly browned, and drained the remaining oil.  While those were cooking prior, I combined 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce with 3/4 cup of water, 1 medium onion that I had chopped, and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I say 2 tablespoons because I actually make my own taco seasoning.  Two tablespoons is the equivalent to one packet.  I will post the taco seasoning recipe below, also, for your reference!).
When the chops were done cooking I poured the premixed sauce over them and brought it to a boil, reducing once it had and allowing it to cook, covered, for another 5 minutes.
I removed the pork and kept it warm while I mixed 1/4 cup of water with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour in a small bowl.  Then I added it to the sauce mixture and brought it to a boil, letting it cook while I stirred it constantly for 2 minutes, until it thickened.
Once that was done, I served the chops with the sauce poured over it, along with some homemade chips and a side of black beans and voila!!  Dinner was served!!!
The chops were 281 calories per serving (it made 4 servings) and with the homemade chips and black beans, that added another 206 calories for a total of 487 calories (still under my 500 calorie limit yay!).  With the homemade chips and black beans, it ended up being $2.02/serving!  WOW!
Here's the recipe!

for the pork chops:
4 boneless pork chops (6 ounces each)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning (or make your own seasoning, recipe below!)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

for the taco seasoning (this has made quite a bit of taco seasoning, I've used it in at least 3 different meals so far and still have some leftovers.  When I make it again, I will double check the actual amount it makes):
4 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
All that needs to be done it to combine everything and seal it in an airtight container and voila!!  You've got taco seasoning!!

for the homemade tortilla chips:
8 corn tortillas (2 tortillas per serving)
cooking spray
Just preheat your oven to 350 degrees, cut the corn tortillas into 8 equal triangles, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.  Then cook them for about 12-15 minutes, depending on how crunchy you'd like them!!

Happy cooking everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment