Sunday, March 17, 2013

Breakfast Edition: Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal

Hello friends and happy St. Patrick's Day!  I have a bunch of GREEN food that I'll be posting your way soon, but I'm a little behind so I figured I'd help everyone out for tomorrow morning, after a LONG day of drinking green beer!  :)
It has been a minute since my last post and that is because our youngest son just turned 11!!  Seriously.  Plus, with our families, birthdays tend to turn into birthweek(s); it's pure insanity!  However, it has been lots of fun.  :)
AnyWAY, onto this yummy breakfast I made for the kids last weekend.  It was so simple and so yummy!  The best part is exactly what it states in the title: it cooked overnight while we slept!  No kidding!
So first thing's first: I took two apples (these were red delicious, but I imagine it could work with any apples because the recipe wasn't specific) and sliced and cored them.  I did this with my NEW slicer/corer (not exactly sure if that is what this most amazing contraption is called but WOW.  I have no idea why I never got one before.  If you don't have one, GET IT.  I'm still amazed by its awesomeness).  I threw that into my slow cooker with 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, two cups of oatmeal (make sure NOT to use quick oats, the recipe I had didn't state to do this and, while it worked, I can tell that it would've worked better without the quick oats version) and I covered that all with 4 cups of water.
Once it was all in there, I covered it and put it on and guess what?!?  I WENT TO BED.  It was awesome.  It's like a slow cooker dinner but for breakfast.  It states to let it cook for 8-9 hours, so I did make sure to do it around 11:00pm because I knew we'd all be up around 8:00am.  When we woke up, VOILA!  Breakfast was served!  It was super yummy.  The oatmeal had chunks of apple in it that were so soft yet ridiculously delicious.  I highly suggest trying this breakfast!
It was only 181 calories per serving (it perfectly made 4 servings for us!) and, I kid you not, only $0.20/serving.  Yet again, I can only attribute my low costs to shopping at the FAAAAABULOUS Winco!  So you can have a delicious, filling, HEALTHY breakfast for your kids in the morning with minimal cost and work.  WHAT!?!?  I know!
Here's the recipe!

2 apples (any kind) cored and sliced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups oatmeal
4 cups water
slow cooker

Happy cooking everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment