Saturday, March 9, 2013

Snack Edition: Banana Gummy Squares

Hello again and welcome to yet another snack edition of Mama Feta's Meals!  Woo!  So I got this recipe from Pinterest from the Undressed Skeleton site.  There are actually a few recipes which I'm excited to try, and maybe a few other mixtures, as well!
This was one the easier ones to do (partly why I chose it!) and the first thing I did was add a large banana and 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice to a bowl and mashed the banana.  Once that was done I added it to a pan and let it simmer on medium heat for 3 minutes.  When that was done, I poured the mixture into a blender and let it blend until smooth, cooling it, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
Once it was cooled, I added two packets of gelatin (gelatin you can find in the baking section of any grocery store, but the Jell-O), as well as 1 tablespoon of Stevia and let it blend further until the mixture was smooth.
This recipe was a smaller amount than the others included in the blog, so I was able to pour the mixture into a Tupperware container as opposed to a cookie tray, and I put it in the fridge to to firm for about an hour or so.
Once it was hardened, I used my square cookie cutter (the recipe called for a bear cookie cutter, but I couldn't find one of those!  The squares worked just as well) and cut out the gummy squares.  It stated originally that this particular recipe made 80 bears but, since I used a bit larger cookie cutter, I was only able to get half of that, so it made about 40 gummy squares.
Voila!  Banana gummy squares!!  The recipe stated that they were 21 calories per serving, however, based on getting half I'd say it was 42 calories/serving.  Maybe?  Not sure, haha, give it a try!  It was also only $0.06/serving!  Seriously!  You can feel good about putting these snacks in your child's lunches!  :)
Here's the recipe!!

1 Large Banana
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice )best to use the juice from an actual lemon, not the bottled kind)
2 Packets Gelatin
1 Tablespoon Stevia

Happy snacking everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment