Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mama's Italian Wedding Soup

Another installment?  You bet your sweet cakes there is!  This meal was delicious and had a TON of leftovers, even after second helpings!
The ingredients seemed like quite a bit, but really ended up being fairly cheap items and made so much!  I adapted this recipe from All Recipes again (I love this site!).
First thing's first: in a bowl I added ground pork, eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil and minced onion and mixed it together, forming 3/4-inch meatballs.  Then I set those aside.
Then I added 2 1/2 quarts of chicken broth to my large stockpot and heat it to a boil.  Once I got all of those liquids rolling, i added fresh spinach, seashell pasta, diced carrots and my pre-rolled meatballs.
I let that boil and then reduced the heat to medium, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes to let the pasta cook to al dente and cook the meatballs.  Then I added Parmesan cheese to the top and voila!  Dinner was served!  As I said before, this was so delicious and everyone went back for seconds and we still had leftovers!

The meal was only 154 calories per serving (it made 10 servings total), and was only $1.01/serving, and I'm not joking.  I'm telling you, if you don't have a WinCo in your neighborhood, BEG for one.  It's amazing!
Here's the recipe!

1 pound extra-lean ground pork
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons minced onions
2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
1 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and thinly sliced
1 cup seashell pasta
3/4 cup diced carrots

Happy cooking everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment