Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cheesy Italian Tortellini

Hey there, hi there, ho there!  I know, I've been slacking, but the past few weeks have been pretty crazy!  What with the end of the school year approaching, trying to get everything finalized for our upcoming cruise, camping trips, immunizations for the upcoming school year, our oldest having his birthday coming up, AND our anniversary, I've literally just been swamped.
Have no fear, though, I am back with a few meals which I hope you will enjoy!!!
This meal I made was a slow cooker dish and was really quite yummy.  I adapted my recipe from the recipe found on All Recipes.
First thing's first: The night prior I decided to save myself a bit of time and cook the ground turkey (obviously the recipe called for ground beef) and Italian sausage (this one I also wanted to do lighter, so I used Italian chicken sausage).
Once I browned this, I put it is some Tupperware and refrigerated it until I needed it the next morning.  After that, the rest was a cinch!  I put the meats, along with some pasta sauce, mushrooms and Italian-style diced tomatoes into my slow cooker, setting it on my low setting to cook for about 8 hours.
While that was stewing away to become something delicious, I was working hard!  When I came home, all I had to do was briefly cook my cheese tortellini's in some boiling water.  The recipe originally called for the refrigerated kind, but I found going to the bulk section of WinCo and buying the dry kind worked just as well!  I just let it cook for about 8-10 minutes or so and drained!
Once that was mixed into my sauce, I added some mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top, covered the slow cooker back up and cooked it for another 15 minutes or so, until the cheese was melted and voila!  Dinner was served!
This was such cheesy goodness that I can't even begin to tell you, you just need to try it!  The best part is it was only 468 calories per serving (the meal made 6 servings) AND only $1.80/serving!  No kidding!!!
Here's the recipe!

1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
16 ounces pasta sauce
4.5 ounces canned sliced mushrooms (drained)
9 ounces dried cheese tortellini (if you want to use the refrigerated kind, you can)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Happy coking everyone!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment